Siesta Beach in Sarasota boasts that it has the finest and whitest sand in the world, and I cannot argue with this claim,” Leatherman said in 2011. “The beautiful blue-colored water is clean and clear, making it so inviting to bathers and swimmers.”
The other Florida beaches making the TripAdvisor list are St. Pete Beach at No. 3, last year’s top beach Clearwater Beach dropping to No. 4, the beach in Panama City Beach at No. 5, Hollywood Beach at No. 6, Pensacola Beach at No. 7, St. Augustine Beach at No. 8, Fort Lauderdale Beach at No. 11, South Beach at No. 12 and Henderson Beach State Park in Destin at No. 17.
Overall, Florida rated the most beaches in the U.S. top 25 with 10 followed by Hawaii with seven, California with three and one each from Maine, Maryland, Massachuestts, Georgia and Virginia.
Siesta Beach ranked No. 5 in the site’s world rankings, the only U.S. beach in the top 25. The No. 1 beach in the world is Baia do Sancho in Fernando de Noronha, Brazil.
This is the fifth year of the TripAdvisor awards, and the third year in a row a Florida beach has topped the U.S. list. Siesta Beach has always been in the top 3.
As far as 2017 goes, here is TripAdvisor’s rankings for the U.S. top 25:
1. Siesta Beach on Siesta Key near Sarasota, Florida
2. Ka’anapali Beach Lahaina, Hawaii
3. St. Pete Beach, Florida
4. Clearwater Beach Clearwater, Florida
5. Beach at Panama City Panama City Beach, Florida
6. Hollywood Beach, Hollywood, Florida
7. Pensacola Beach, Pensacola Beach, Florida
8. St. Augustine Beach Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
9. Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve Honolulu, Hawaii
10. Ocean City Beach Ocean City, Maryland
11. Fort Lauderdale Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
12. South Beach Miami Beach, Florida
13. Wai’anapanapa State Park Hana, Hawaii
14. Ogunquit Beach Ogunquit, Maine
15. Wailea Beach, Wailea, Hawaii
16. Lanikai Beach, Kailua, Hawaii
17. Henderson Beach State Park, Destin, Florida
18. Driftwood Beach, Jekyll Island, Georgia
19. Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach, Virginia
20. Santa Monica Beach, Santa Monica, California
21. La Jolla Shores Park, La Jolla, California
22. Hapuna Beach, Waimea, Hawaii
23. Race Point Beach, Provincetown, Massachusetts
24. Carlsbad State Beach, Carlsbad, California
25. Poipu Beach Park, Poipu, Hawaii